The Hebridean Whale and Dolphin Trust (HWDT) is the only UK organisation providing the opportunity to name Hebridean minke whales and bottlenose dolphins. We only have a limited number of whales and dolphins to name so, to avoid dissapointment, sign up today! A fantastic Christmas present for someone who has everything (or just loves whales and dolphins!)!
HWDT has been identifying minke whales and bottlenose dolphins through the photo identification of their dorsal fins for well over a decade. Many of the recognised whales return to the Hebrides year after year, while the bottlenose dolphins are resident and live here all year.
HWDTs naming scheme entitles you to exclusively name a whale or dolphin and in addition receive:
- Glossy 8’’ x 6’’ mounted print of your named whale or dolphin
- A4 personalised naming certificate
- High quality species factsheet, to provide you with background information
- One year’s Friend of HWDT which entitles you to the following benefits:
- Subscription to our bi-annual newsletter Wave (or Wavelet for junior members) to keep you up to date with our news, research findings and with topical articles
- HWDT pen, car sticker and large re-useable jute bag
- Hebridean cetacean species identification guide. This excellent double-sided waterproof identification card will help you enjoy and identify all species sighted regularly off the west coast
- HWDT DVD: Whales & Dolphins of the Hebrides
- Discounted clothing and merchandise from our online shop - show your support with HWDT sweat shirts, polo shirts, T-shirts, pens, pencils, cotton bags and more...
- Discounted opportunities to volunteer on our boat-based monitoring trips
- Access to our Friends of HWDT area of our website
Above all becoming a Friend of HWDT gives you the satisfaction of knowing that you are contributing to the conservation of whales, dolphins and porpoises and sustaining the work of HWDT
The naming scheme costs £150 to name a minke and £200 to name a bottlenose dolphin, all funds generated will help HWDT continue our research and education programmes. As a small locally-based organisation we need this support to continue our vital work to conserve whales and dolphins. Your support will:
- Sustain our research programme to learn about cetacean distribution and abundance around the west coast of Scotland, in order to protect these species for future generations
- Support our work to educate people of all ages about cetaceans and in promoting a shared sense of responsibility for the marine environment
- Support our work in partnership with local communities around the west coast of Scotland
- Contribute to the long term development of HWDT and our programmes
- Contribute to the long term conservation of endangered whales, dolphins and porpoises